No one was injured when a late-night cooking fire became out of control Tuesday, according to Battalion Chief Steve Ore.
The was dispatched to 421 Riverview Ave. at 11:07 p.m. The fire department was on scene four minutes later and found smoke showing from the rear of the two-story single family home.
Firefighters found smoke and flames in the kitchen that had extended to the cabinets and other structural members. They quickly attacked and extinguished the fire, which was under control by 11:16 p.m., according to Ore.
Four people were home at the time of the fire but exited the residence safely.
“One of the occupants told me that she was heating up cooking oil on the stove which became too hot and caught fire,” said Ore. “ She attempted to extinguish the fire with a fire extinguisher she had in the house but was unsuccessful.”
Cause of the fire is being classified as accidental at this time. Total estimated smoke and fire damage: $50,000.