Editor's Note: This article was updated with fireplace safety warnings from the Waukesha Fire Department.
An early Wednesday morning house fire caused about $85,000 in damage, according to Battalion Chief Joe Vitale.
Two firefighters received minor injuries at the scene, but everyone in the home at 2140 Melody Lane safely evacuated. The cause of the fire is related to the chimney/fireplace area, according to the fire department.
The Waukesha Fire Department and Waukesha Police Department were dispatched to the scene at 6:02 a.m. with the first truck on scene at 6:08 a.m. reporting heavy smoke and fire showing.
From a news release:
Fire crews proceeded to make an aggressive attack to the exterior of the structure and then proceeded into the structure. As they began pulling ceilings, they were met by fire and smoke in the attic space, which was quickly knocked down. The single family home sustained moderate to major fire, smoke, and water damage to the attic space, living room, and fireplace area. The remainder of the home sustained minor to moderate smoke damage.
The fire has prompted the Waukesha Fire Department to warn residents about routine chimney cleaning after having multiple incidents related to the use of a wood-burning fireplace.
“The chimneys should be both cleaned and inspected to ensure they are working properly and are not a fire hazard,” the release states.
The fire department is also warning about the disposal of ashes. Ashes should be:
- Stored in a metal or non-flammable container
- Stored outside the house away from the building
“Hot coals can continue to smolder for up to a few days after the fire appears to be extinguished and present a fire hazard,” the release states.