Waukesha House Owned by Oprah Winfrey's Niece Catches Fire
Blaze started by electrical extension cord underneath bed. Damage estimated to be around $100,000.
A house fire broke out in an upstairs bedroom at 125 N. Charles St. around 5:13 p.m. Tuesday and caused around $100,000 worth of damage to the house, Battalion Chief Dick Neustaedter said.
No injuries were reported during the fire, which brought a response from four of the five fire stations.
The cause of the fire was an electrical extension cord that was underneath the bed, Neustaedter said. The bed caught on fire and the flames extended to the walls and ceiling.
The house is owend by Tydus and Alisha Hayes. Alisha Hayes is Oprah Winfrey's niece.
At least two people were home at the time of the fire but they were outside before the Waukesha Fire Department arrived on scene, Neustaedter said.
The fire department was on scene for about two hours.