Maybe you just want to help out the community by donating blood, but you could score free stuff with a blood donation.
Both the Blood Center of Wisconsin and the American Red Cross are pushing for area residents to donate blood this summer. They are each giving away free stuff for blood.
- Check out these other area blood drives this summer.
“Every day, the Red Cross must collect more than 17,000 pints of blood for patients at more than 3,000 hospitals and transfusion centers across the country. Of that, the Badger-Hawkeye Blood Services Region must collect approximately 600 pints per day,” said Greg Novinska, CEO of the American Red Cross Badger-Hawkeye Blood Services Region, serving Wisconsin, Eastern Iowa and Upper Michigan in a news release. “We need donors to make appointments in the coming days and weeks to help us ensure that all patient blood needs can be met. Each pint of whole blood can help save more than one life.
“There is always the chance that a physician could postpone an elective surgery if the needed blood products aren’t readily available or, in a worst case scenario, have to forego a more serious procedure because of a shortage of blood. Our goal is to ensure that doesn’t happen.”
From the Blood Center of Wisconsin’s news release:
Blood donation decreases during busy summer months as travel increases and the number of school and community drives decreases. Because of this, BloodCenter encourages donors to make the time this summer to donate. Hospitals, including Waukesha Memorial Hospital, have come to rely on BloodCenter of Wisconsin for a steady supply of blood to treat their patients.
Here are the blood drives where you can get free Waukesha County Fair tickets by donating blood:
- American Red Cross: Tuesday, July 10, 1 p.m. to 6 p.m. Located at Christ the Life, 3031 Summit Ave., Waukesha.
- Blood Center of Wisconsin: Thursday, July 5, 2 p.m. to 7 p.m. at Center Court Sports Complex, 815 Northview Road. Visit www.bcw.edu/CenterCourtSportsComplex to make an appointment.
Give a pint of blood; Get a pint of Culver’s custard
- American Red Cross: Friday, July 6, 8 a.m. to 1 p.m., American Red Cross donation center, 2220 Silvernail Road. (Also receive a Red Cross patriotic pin).
- American Red Cross: Friday, July 27, 8 a.m. to 1 p.m., American Red Cross donation center, 2220 Silvernail Road. (Also receive a Red Cross vintage-style first aid kit).